Unlike their peers in other industrialized countries, U.S. workers are not guaranteed paid vacation time. Many workers let some of their vacation days expire. And when they do take time off, they may find it hard to leave the workplace behind. Find out just how hard:
1. Of employees who receive vacation or paid time off, how much of his or her eligible time off did the average American use in the past 12 months?
A. A quarter
B. A third
2. What percentage of employees took 25% or less of their eligible vacation time/PTO in the past 12 months?
3. What percentage of employees took 100% of their eligible vacation time/PTO in the past 12 months?
4. How many employees have worked while on vacation/using PTO?
A. One in five
B. Two in five
C. Three in five
D. Four in five
5. Rank the following reasons why employees work while on vacation/using PTO, from most cited to least cited.
A. Complete dedication to company
B. Fear of getting behind
C. Want a promotion
D. No one else at my company can do the work
6. What percentage of employees who took vacation/PTO in the past 12 months were contacted by their boss about a work-related matter while taking time off?
7. How many employees used vacation time/PTO in the past 12 months to interview for a new job?
A. One in 5
B. One in 10
C. One in 15
D. One in 20
Source: Glassdoor Q1 2014 Employment Confidence Survey. March 2014
Answers: 1–C; 2–D; 3–D; 4–C; 5–D, B, A, C; 6–B; 7–B