• Geoffery E. Merszei was appointed executive vice president and chief financial officer-designate of The Dow Chemical Co., rejoining the organization he left in 2001. That year, he departed Dow for his current post as executive vice president and CFO of Montreal-based aluminum manufacturer Alcan Inc. (Merszei’s return is one more instance of a chief financial officer who can’t resist “Going Home Again.”)
Merszei will take over the top finance post at the Midland, Michigan-based company on October 1 when J. Pedro Reinhard steps down. Reinhard, who joined Dow in 1970, will retain his current responsibilities through the end of the year in relation to Dow AgroSciences, Dow Latin America, and other special projects. He will also continue to serve as a member of Dow’s board of directors.
Beginning in mid-May, Merszei’s finance responsibilities at Alcan will be handled in the interim by executive vice president Michael Hanley, who runs the company’s bauxite and alumina business group. Hanley previously served as chief financial officer for two public companies in the energy and forest products sectors.
• National Lampoon Inc. announced that president Douglas S. Bennett will assume the additional role of chief financial officer. Current finance chief Jim Toll is leaving to pursue other opportunities. In addition, the Los Angeles-based company appointed Lorraine Evanoff vice president of finance and chief accounting officer; previously, Evanoff was the controller for TAG Entertainment Corp.
• Communications company ITC DeltaCom Inc. appointed Richard E. Fish chief financial officer. He replaces Douglas A. Shumate, who has resigned. Fish joined the West Point, Georgia, company in February as chief administrative officer; previously, he was executive vice president and CFO of telecom ICG Communications Inc.
• Neil Lyons has joined Bethesda, Maryland-based RegeneRx Biopharmaceuticals Inc. as chief financial officer. Throughout the 1980s Lyons practiced with two major accounting firms, providing audit and advisory services to several public companies. Since 1990, he has been a finance executive with HFS Inc., Bell Atlantic, and SkyBridge LP, an international satellite broadband startup.
• Isolagen Inc., a biotechnology company based in Exton, Pennsylvania, named Martin E. Schmieg senior vice president and chief financial officer. Schmieg most recently served as senior vice president and CFO of Sirna Therapeutics Inc.; previously, he held the same positions at Advanced Bionics Corp.
• IntraLinks Inc. named Anthony Plesner chief financial officer. Before joining the provider of on-demand workspaces to the financial services and pharmaceutical industries, Plesner served as CFO and chief operating officer for The NewsMarket, an online video archive and delivery platform. Previously, he was president and chief operating officer of 24/7 Real Media Inc., provider of interactive marketing and technology services. He also worked with Reuters Corp. in senior finance and operations positions in New York, Hong Kong, Tokyo, and London during a 13-year tenure.
• Dialysis-services provider DaVita Inc. announced that Denise Fletcher has stepped down as senior vice president and chief financial officer in a decision “reached by mutual agreement,” according to a company statement. Executive vice president Tom Kelly, who was previously the national director of healthcare for KPMG, will serve as acting CFO while the company searches for a permanent replacement.
• John Trohan has been appointed deputy chief financial officer of NikkoCitigroup Ltd. and will continue to serve as treasurer of the corporate and investment banking group’s Asia-Pacific division. Prior to joining Citigroup in 1998, Trohan served as the assistant director for global treasury with Peregrine and worked for Credit Suisse First Boston and Westdeustche Landesbank.
• Commercial and industrial property insurer FM Global has elected Gracia Martore, senior vice president and chief financial officer of Gannett Co. Inc., to its board of directors. Martore, who has spent two decades at news and information giant Gannett, became CFO in 2003.