A.P. Moller-Maersk said its information technology systems were back online and it was resuming container deliveries at major ports, a week after it was hit by a major cyberattack, according to Reuters. “Today we can finally reopen our key applications,” the Danish shipping giant said in a statement on Monday.
The company said it expects to have all 1,500 of its applications fully functional within a week.
“We can, with great certainty, say that we have never experienced anything like this and therefore we are extremely excited to have achieved a milestone in the journey to be back fully online,” a statement by the company read.
“We are humbled by the number of people who have offered their help, and the flexibility shown has been tremendous.”
Maersk handles one in seven containers shipped globally. The cyber attack affected all its business units, including container shipping, port and tug boat operations, oil and gas production, drilling services, and oil tankers.
Swiss container line MSC said it worked with Maersk, its vessel-sharing partner, to avoid any serious disruptions.
“The biggest challenge facing all carriers was to avoid the APM Terminals which were not in operation,” said Gianluigi Di Maio, the senior vice president of network planning at MSC, said.
“Thankfully, we have a lot of alternative terminals to choose through our subsidiary TIL and other suppliers. Our aim is to minimize any possible disruption by utilizing these other terminals.”
Maersk said it was hit by the Petya cyber attack, which appeared to spread from Ukraine across the globe and was seen as a sequel to the WannaCry attack in May. Both ransomware attacks relied on a leaked hacking tool linked to the National Security Agency.
A report last month from law firm Norton Rose Fulbright, published this week, showed 87% of respondents from the shipping industry believed cyber attacks would increase over the next five years.
About 90% of global trade travels by sea, Reuters says.